I've finished my first handmade shell for my Miche bag! I have the Demi Shell and for $35-40 for an authentic shell I figured it was worth trying to make my own. I learned a bunch of things along the way and there are a couple things I'm going to change next time. But this was my first attempt and I think it might just be usable :)
I was on the fence for the past few days about whether or not to simply line it, or make it reversible. I even went as far as to cut out pockets for the blue side, but then I changed my mind back. So this bag isn't reversible... but who would want to hide its pretty flowers anyways?
It's lined in a matching blue cotton from Joann Fabrics. If I do decide to make straps to go with this shell I'm going to use this fabric instead of the flower print because I love how bright it is (I also may have used up all the printed fabric making the shell). The other thing I'm thinking about adding is a grommet on each side so I have the option of using a cross-body shoulder strap.
The flaps, which have the magnets in them, show my favorite part of the print on the exterior fabric(I generally love most things with leaves and vines). But I wasn't able to piece the pattern properly on the fabric to use the leaf design on the outside, this was the best I could do :( I also didn't intend to use the daisy design twice but, since I was using a upcycled item, there were a lot of seams and things I needed to work around. Oh well, next time I will use new fabric. Next time I will also add pockets, lots and lots of pockets... >:)
Comments/Criticisms welcome :)